November 28, 2012

Scandinavian Chic and none-too-Shabby

Design Plan for: Living and Dining Rooms (Open Concept)
Clients:  Viv and Bernd

(click to enlarge)
Dining Room


Living Room


My most recent client Design plan is for a vivacious modern couple and their three growing boys. This family will soon be completely re-modeling their living and dining rooms with fresh new walls, floors and design aesthetic. They asked me to help them determine their decor preferences, select a new color palette, textiles and some furniture pieces to transform their home into a stylish, classic and cozy space.  Inspired by pictures of the idyllic natural settings of the city this family calls home -  Bergen, Noway - I went to work creating a design I call Scandinavian Chic.

Using feedback from Viv and her husband, I began with determining a color palette for these spaces.  I chose colors that were neutral but not boring, a cohesive combination of pale grays and whites, set off by royal and navy blues and charcoal as accents, which worked beautifully with some of their already-existing warm wood furniture pieces for an earthy contrast.  I wanted to combine their existing furniture pieces that are contemporary in nature, with some vintage-inspired pieces for an added layer of softness and visual interest. Finally, I chose textiles such as the curtains, rugs, and runner in interesting Herringbone and Chevron patterns with a modern color twist.

I built the design plan around the following fundamentals:

1) Three basic paint colors for the walls of these two rooms:  an overall pale gray to tie and unify the space and two gorgeous accent walls, one for the dining, one for the living that will set all the other elements beautifully;  Benjamin Moore's Titanium, Sherwin Wiliam's Loyal Blue and Valspar's Ocean Storm. 

2) Classic, Contemporary and Vintage inspired furniture pieces. That are both stylish and functional.

3) Textile and fabric patterns that bring interest, contrast and layered texture all while keeping with a neutral color palette.

4) Accessories that are light, functional, organic and vintage inspired. For artwork- I suggested framed family portraits which are always meaningful and personalized, or unique and original photography black&white or sepia toned prints found in my C'est La Vie Art Shop. 

Viv and her husband were incredibly pleased with the design concepts and cannot wait to begin the big re-model. I cannot wait to see pictures of the final result!!!

Here are some Before pics:






In need of transforming your own space on a budget? Please fill out my Design and Style Evaluation here or email me @ cestlavie.events@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment